New to Canada?
We can help register your child for school!
Our Family Welcome Centre helps newcomer families register their children for school in Grades 1 to 12 and settle into the Ottawa Catholic school community. We can help you whether you’re a permanent resident, refugee, Canadian citizen, diplomat or in Canada on a study or work permit.
Book an appointment
Call us to make an appointment if you meet one of the following:
Book an appointment with us if you meet one of the following:
You moved to Canada within the last six months, even if you’re coming from an English-speaking country.
English is not your child’s first language and:
- Your child studied in a language other than English. This includes French-speaking students from French schools in Ottawa.
- You’ve moved to Ontario from another province in Canada.
- Your child attended school in another country for six months or longer.
What to bring to your appointment
- Proof of age (your child’s birth certificate or passport)
- Proof of status in Canada for yourself and your child (Canadian citizenship, permanent resident, work permit, or study permit)
- Proof of your address in Ottawa (rental or mortgage agreement, utility bill, or bank/credit card statement)
- Your child’s official report cards and or transcripts for the last two years
- Your, or your child’s, baptismal certificate (for students in Grade 1 to 8)
- Immunization records
What will happen during your visit
Both you and your child will need to attend your appointment. Your appointment will be approximately two to three hours long. Here is a brief description of what a typical appointment at our Family Welcome Centre might look like:
We meet with your family.
You will meet with one of our Intake and Assessment Teachers to discuss your child’s school history, personal goals, and interests.
We assess your child’s math and English level.
We will assess your child’s math and English skills (speaking, reading and writing). This is not a test, so there are no marks or grades, and there is no need for your child to prepare.
We provide your family with feedback.
Our teachers will provide you with feedback and recommendations from the assessment results, and send the assessment report to your child’s new school.
We help you complete your registration documents.
Our staff will help you complete all the required registration forms, and will also set up an appointment for you to register your child at their new school.
We help you get connected to community services.
Our Settlement Workers will provide you with information on the Ontario school system. They will connect you with community services to help you settle into your new location.