Select Page

Have your say. Check online to ensure you are able to vote for your School Trustee in the 2018 municipal elections.

One of the greatest rights we have in Canada is to “have your say.” In Ontario, we are all given the freedom of choice in choosing our Mayor, City Councillor, and School Board Trustee. These elections will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018. Ensuring you have a voice in in the upcoming election means ensuring you are on the voter’s list. And, by ensuring your school support is directed to the “English Separate” school board, you will be able to cast your ballot for an OCSB Trustee.


How to ensure you can vote for an OCSB Trustee

In order to vote for an OCSB Trustee, your school support status must be listed as “English Separate” on the voters’ list. Check your property tax bill to ensure that your support is directed to the the English Catholic Board. These property tax assessments are mailed out to all residents between April and August. The assessment section of your tax bill should have “ES” written in the Tax Class field. By default, everyone’s school support is automatically directed to the “English Public” school. This means that you may need to proactively change your direction of school support (taxes) to “English Separate” in order to vote for an OCSB Trustee.

OCSB tax assessment example through MPAC

Why voting for your Trustee is so important

When you designate yourself as an “English Separate” school supporter, you help foster a strong political voice through your elected school Trustee. Trustees oversee recommendations for educational programs, budgets, and policies that govern the Board’s operation. Your Trustee provides an important link between your community and the school board, bringing your issues and concerns forward to board discussions and decision making.

What criteria must be met to support Catholic school

  • Roman Catholic homeowners and tenants/renters are eligible to designate their support to Catholic schools. If one partner in the house is non-Catholic, you can still support English Separate schools by completing the Separate School Assessment Lease Form.
  • You cannot divide your school support between the public and Catholic sectors.
  • If you do not have children registered at an OCSB school, you can still choose to support Catholic education. It is an investment in our future and all Catholic ratepayers are partners with Catholic educators in this investment.

Have you recently moved?

When you move, your school support automatically defaults to “English Public” schools, directing your voice away from your Catholic school community. This also means that you will not be able to vote for your OCSB Trustee. Check your assessment notice carefully each time you move to make the necessary adjustments.

Complete an application form

Complete the Application for the Direction of School Support form and mail it to OCSB Admissions at 570 West Hunt Club Road, Nepean, ON K2G 3R4, or scan and email it to

Call us for assistance

Call our friendly and knowledgeable Admissions Department by phone at 613-224-4455 Ext 2308 or e-mail to