* Students in the photo are students of St. Pius Catholic High School.
Choosing the right high school can be challenging for both parent and student. There are so many questions to consider– should I enroll in a program that offers me early career experience? What courses should I pick? What about extra-curricular activities? So many questions – but don’t worry; we’re here to help you with everything you need to know about high school at the OCSB. Let’s get started.
Why choose an OCSB high school?
When you attend an Ottawa Catholic High School, you graduate with much more than a piece of paper. Here is what you need to earn your high school diploma in Ontario.
Our approach to education is simple– we’re preparing you to thrive today and in the future. We want to make sure every graduate who leaves our school system has solid academic skills and is confident and equipped to make a positive difference in the world. Our Catholic Graduate Expectations help guide our students in and out of the classroom.
How do we prepare you for success beyond high school?
The OCSB uses a Deep Learning and faith-based approach to education. We believe God wants all students to do much more than memorize facts and figures. At the OCSB, we focus on building skills and competencies that never go out of style– citizenship, character, communication, critical thinking, collaboration and creativity. We prepare our students for success.
Our faith-based approach to high school guides our staff to support the well-being of every student in our OCSB family. Together we commit to providing safe, welcoming and inclusive environments where students can thrive.
How do I register for an OCSB high school?
If you’re already registered at an OCSB elementary school you do not need to register for high school. If you are new to Ottawa and looking to attend one of our excellent high schools, you can register online.
Which Ottawa Catholic High School will I attend?
We have 16 high schools in the Ottawa Catholic School Board– 15 physical high schools and one permanent virtual high school. In most cases, you would attend your neighbourhood OCSB high school based on school boundaries.
What programs and extra-curricular activities are offered at OCSB high schools?
OCSB high schools offer a wide range of programming to help students discover and explore their talents, skills and interests. In addition to the required courses, our schools also offer specialized programs that can give students a competitive edge after graduation!
- Focus Programs – Focus Programs are a grouping of courses that zero in on a specific interest with the help of hands-on learning.
- Co-operative Education – Co-op programs get your children ready for the workforce by putting them right in the workplace. Earning credits and experience at the same time!
- Dual Credit Programs – In Dual Credit Programs grades 11 and 12 students earn high school and college credits at the same time.
- Apprenticeships (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) – Through OYAP, students build the skills needed for the trades while completing their diplomas.
- Specialist High Skills Majors – The SHSM program offers grade 11 and 12 students specialized programming formally recognized by employers and post-secondary institutions.
Tour your Ottawa Catholic high schools!
There is no need to book an appointment to explore an OCSB high school– take a virtual tour today! Click and learn more about what your school has to offer from the comfort of your own home.
Still have more questions?
High School Information Nights
All OCSB high schools hold information nights. Information nights are designed to help answer questions for new families. We invite you to pop in and get answers to your questions.
Read more posts from this series
This is part of a series of posts focused on high school at the OCSB. You can expect these posts to come out soon:
- Catholic High Schools in Ottawa – Ready For High School Issue 1
- Completing your Volunteer Hours – Ready For High School Issue 2
- Managing your High School Career – Ready For High School Issue 3
- What is SHSM?
- Starting an apprenticeship
- What is the Dual Credit Program?
- What is Co-Op?
High school resources for parents
- High School Parent Guide – An overview of everything you need to know about high school at the Ottawa Catholic School Board.
- High School Program Guide – A deep dive into programs and courses offered at your OCSB high school.