During the month of March, the Ottawa Catholic School Board is celebrating le mois de la francophonie– a month-long celebration of the French language and Francophone culture. The International jour de la francophonie is recognized every March 20 but we’re going to celebrate all month! We hope you join the fun.
Ten ways to celebrate la francophonie as a family this month
- Participate in one of the Ottawa Public Library’s virtual programs en français!
- Discover some Indigenous-Canadian singers who speak French: Anachnid, Elisapie Isaac or Twin Flames.
- Read French books online for free on the following platforms: La Bibliothèque des Amériques, La BiblioVirtuelle or Sora or MaBiblio (on the Elementary Student Portal).
- Get to know some French-speaking immigrants who have made Canada their home. How could you greet them in your community?
- Dive into science experiments and videos in French with Les débrouillards.
- Be creative and learn art techniques with Hervé Tullet on L’expo idéale.
- Get moving with Force 4 series.
- Dig into history with Kayak magazine
- Cook in French with Mini Miam or make Métis bread on Idéllo.
- Get outdoors and have fun with this Chasse aux trésors de la nature.
Did you know? Saviez-vous que?
- Most Canadian know we have two official languages in Canada (English and French), but did you know 22.8% of our population speak French as their first language?
- Almost 10.4 million Canadians can carry a conversation in French.
- There are 88 countries around the world that speak French!