Did you know that 88 different countries share the common language of French? Can you guess what the estimated number of French speakers is world-wide? There are over 300 million French speakers across five continents who make up la Francophonie together.
During March, and in recognition of International Francophonie Day on March 20th, the OCSB joins this vibrant community in celebrating the French language and Francophone culture.
With over 38 million people in Canada, French is the first official language spoken by 22.8% of the population. Almost 10.4 million Canadians can carry on a conversation in French. C’est génial!
We invite you and your family to explore la Francophonie by participating in these activities:
- Flip through an online French magazine:
- Primary: Les Explorateurs, MiniMag
- Junior: Les débrouillards, Mon Mag à Moi, Kayak
- Intermediate/Secondary: Quad9
- Get outdoors and have fun with this Chasse aux trésors de la nature.
- Discover some Indigenous Canadian singers who speak French: Natasha Kanapé-Fontaine or Elisapie Isaac.
- Meet Marie-Joseph Angélique, a notable Black French Canadian seeking freedom from enslavement, by listening to this podcast in English or French.
- Cook in French with Mini Miam or make Métis bread on Idéllo.
- Visit Mauril – a self-paced learning journey with interactive, leveled French videos that are ideal for ages 12 and up.
- Get moving with Force 4 series.
- Be creative and learn art techniques with Hervé Tullet on L’expo idéale.