This month we’re celebrating la francophonie at the Ottawa Catholic School Board! The International Francophonie Day is recognized every March 20 to celebrate the French language and Francophone culture, but at the OCSB we’re honouring la francophonie all month. La francophonie includes 88 countries that share a common language– French.
While most people know that French is one of our two official languages in Canada, many don’t realize that 22.8% of Canadians speak French as their first language! Almost 30% of Canadians can carry on a conversation in French. Many of those people can be found in the vibrant schools at the OCSB!
Take the #ocsbBonjour challenge this month!
Whether or not you speak French at home, we invite you to join the celebration by engaging in some of these fun family activities this month! How many will you cross off the list?
- Flip through an online French magazine: Les Explorateurs, MiniMag (Kindergarten to Grade 3) Les débrouillards, Mon Mag à Moi, Kayak (Grade 4 to 6) Quad9 (Grade 7 to 12)
- Get outdoors and have fun with this Chasse aux trésors de la nature.
- Explore the music of Indigenous singers who speak French like Natasha Kanapé-Fontaine or Elisapie Isaac.
- Learn about Marie-Joseph Angélique, a notable Black French Canadian seeking freedom from enslavement, by listening to this podcast in English or French.
- Cook in French with Mini Miam or make Métis bread on Idéllo.
- Visit Mauril – a self-paced learning journey with interactive French videos for learners 12 and up.
- Watch Zoomizoom as a family! It’s a playful bilingual series created for young learners.
- Get moving with Force 4 series.
- Learn art techniques with Hervé Tullet on L’expo idéale.
Have another idea or family-friendly #ocsbBonjour activity in mind? Let us know in the comments or share with us on social media using the #ocsbBonjour hashtag!