Professional development for staff
At the Ottawa Catholic School Board, we support success for our staff. Our employees are given numerous opportunities to participate in personal, professional, and spiritual growth activities throughout the year. Our rich and fulfilling development opportunities are available to our educators, but also to our administrative staff, consultants, skilled trades workers and liaisons. Our employees are encouraged to develop the skills they need to take on new challenges, both personally and professionally, and excel in their area of expertise.
Technology accelerates professional learning
We have always been a leader when it comes to the integration of technology in our facilities. All staff are provided with opportunities to develop their skills through professional learning including: Google for Education; Directions in Technology; assistive technology; SmartBoards; use of digital resources, mobile devices and social media; and more.
We are committed to the use of technology as a means to collaborate. We have wireless technology in all of our schools, and use strategic technology tools to help improve learning. Our strong focus on digital citizenship guides our staff and students down the right path towards the responsible use of technology. Keeping up with technology has proved to be a major contributing factor to our success.
Enhancing our workplace
All OCSB employees contribute to our overall success. To encourage staff to share their expertise with their colleagues, our Leading & Learning Department provides formalized training in the following areas:
- pathways for aspiring leaders, such as teachers wanting to become vice-principals, and vice-principals wanting to become principals
- mentorship programs for curriculum leaders, department heads, administrative assistants, office administrators, educational assistants and caretaking staff
- orientation programs such as the New Teacher Induction Program (NTIP) and Coaching Institute (I and II)
- guided instruction through our Journey of Discover – God Among Us program
- introduction to leadership and leadership journey sessions for staff in their current positions
Recognizing our employees
The Director of Education Commendation Awards are presented each year to extraordinary OCSB employees who our community identifies as role models in our Board. Get to know the most recent award recipients by viewing their photos and biographies.