If you have ever thought of being an OCSB Student Trustee, the time is now to find out what it takes to be elected to this prestigious student leadership role. The benefits are enormous, both personally and professionally. Being an OCSB Student Trustee allows you to advocate for Student Voice, collaborate on school board policies, and promote personal leadership growth. If you are interested, watch the video message below from our 2022-2023 Student Trustees and keep reading to find out more.
What Does an OCSB Student Trustee Do?
- The Ottawa Catholic School Board (OCSB)Student Trustees represent the voice of more than 45,000 students.
- Student Trustees advocate for all OCSB students by facilitating conversations between the elected Board of Trustees and the students they serve.
- Student Trustees share real-life experiences with their adult counterparts, which helps create an environment of collaboration between adults and students.
- Student Trustees help provide the Board with insight into the needs and opinions of young people within its schools.
Why Should You Care?
- Being a Student Trustee allows you the opportunity to elevate Student Voice.
- As a Student Trustee, you help inform policymakers about how their decisions impact students at the school level.
- Your work may help improve the overall student experience making the OCSB an even better board for you and your peers to attend.
- You will have the opportunity to work with education leaders, which will, in turn, improve your leadership skills.
Did We Capture Your Attention?
If we did…
- Join us on February 10, 2023, for a Q&A session.
- You will find out what the job really entails from OCSB’s Student Trustees.
- To join, ask members of your school’s student council for the link; they will be more than happy to assist you or fill out this form.
- If you want to read about what our present OCSB Students have been up to, you can read their December Report.
Following the Q&A
- Candidates will record a 2-minute video of themselves answering the following question: Why would you like to be a Student Trustee instead of a Co-president?
- The deadline to apply as a candidate for the 2023-2024 Student Trustee Elections is February 17, 2023.
- If you are chosen to represent your school for the chance to be the next OCSB Student Trustee, we will notify you before February 24, 2023
- It’s Speech Time
- You will write a 3-minute speech answering the following question: “In 3 minutes or less, tell us why you would be a good choice for next year’s Student Trustee, representing “Student Voice” in our School Board.”
- After the speech, half of the candidates will move on to 2 rounds of questions.
- During the first round, you will answer one question from a bank of 4 pre-determined questions.
- The Senate will vote, and those with the most votes will move on to the next and final round.
- In round 2, you will answer one last question.
- You will have 2 minutes to respond to the question.
And the Winner is!
The two highest-voted candidates will become the 2023-2024 Student Trustees!