Your child is growing up quickly, and it’s almost time for their #ocsbFirstDay of Kindergarten. This is an exciting time filled with adventure, joy and maybe a few “butterflies” in the tummy. But don’t worry! The Ottawa Catholic School Board has you covered. We’ve put together a list of resources to help you prepare for this first big step in your child’s schooling. We even asked some Kindergarten students to share their expert advice and guidance for the 2022-2023 school year.
Listen to advice from OCSB Kindergarten students
The first day of OCSB Kindergarten is just around the corner, and your child might feel an assortment of new emotions as they prepare for their first day of school. To help your not-so-little-one feel confident about this new learning adventure, we asked Kindergarten students at Our Lady Mount Carmel school to offer advice for students starting Kindergarten in the fall. These seasoned kinders shared wisdom on how to be brave, make new friends and have fun as they reflected on their #ocsbFirstDay at the OCSB. Check out our Advice from OCSB Kindergarten Students video below.
Explore your child’s classroom virtually
You and your child can explore their Kindergarten classroom from the comfort of your home! All you need is a smartphone, tablet or computer. Our OCSB virtual classroom tours give you a 360° view of your child’s class and provide information about the classroom environment at various checkpoints. Go to our Explore your Kindergarten classroom page, find your school and have fun exploring!
Review the Kindergarten Frequently Asked Questions
When preparing your child for their first day of Kindergarten, we know you likely have many questions. Our Frequently Asked Questions document covers the top questions our parent community has asked us. You can read our Kindergarten FAQ and watch our 2022 Kindergarten Information night recording at our Answering your questions: Kindergarten FAQ blog.
Get ready for the yellow school bus
The Ottawa Student Transportation Authority (OSTA) provides all school bus transportation for our OCSB schools. When you register for Kindergarten at the OCSB, we share all pertinent information with OSTA, so you don’t have to register your child separately for the school bus. Leading up to your child’s first day of school, you will need to create an account on their Parent Portal to find out where your child’s bus stop will be. You may also want to explore OSTA’s Frequently Asked Questions page to familiarize you with their school buses and services.
Review OCSB child care options
Kindergarten students at the OCSB are eligible for our before and after school program. This program is available on regular school days, and students have fun participating in arts and crafts, sports, drama and more! You can learn more about our Extended Day program and how to register at our Extended Day Program FAQ blog.
Prepare your Kindergarten checklist
If you’ve already registered for OCSB Kindergarten, you can start shopping for your child’s school supplies. We’ve highlighted some essential school supplies below to help you prepare your Ready for Kindergarten checklist.
- Backpack: Your child will need a bag to carry school supplies to and from school. Each child will have a cubby to store their belongings during the school day.
- Indoor shoes: Every student at the OCSB changes into indoor shoes once they arrive at their classroom.
- Lunch kit: Parents are expected to send their child to school with lunch and snacks for the day, so you will want to ensure your child has a good lunch bag to keep their food fresh.
- Water bottle: We recommend sending your child to school with a refillable water bottle.
- Healthy nut-free foods: Our schools are nut-free, so we ask that you ensure your child’s food items contain no traces of nuts. If you’re looking for some lunch or snack ideas, you can check out the Parenting in Ottawa Healthy Eating page.
- Clothing your child can manage independently: Our educators won’t physically assist your child with their bathroom routines but will verbally walk them through the steps if they need help. It’s a good idea to ensure your child comes to school in clothing they can manage independently.
- A change of clothing: We recommend sending your child to school with a change of clothing in case their clothes get dirty during outdoor play or in case of a bathroom accident.
Register for OCSB Kindergarten
If you haven’t registered for OCSB Kindergarten yet, there’s still time. Just visit our Register page and follow the instructions provided. You’ll need proof of your Ottawa address and your child’s birth certificate or passport handy. You’ll also need your child’s immigration documents if you’re new to Canada.
We welcome children of all faiths at the OCSB, so your child doesn’t have to be Catholic and baptized to attend. We look forward to welcoming you to the OCSB family in the fall.