Trustee Vacancy - Application Process
Trustees are members of the school board. They provide an important link between local communities and the school board, bringing the issues and concerns of their constituents to board discussions and decision making. The Ottawa Catholic School Board invited individuals qualified to serve as a School Board Trustee to submit their application. According to the Education Act of Ontario, the Board has 90 days to appoint a new trustee to fill the vacant position.
In order to be eligible, candidates must be:
- a resident in the Board’s area of jurisdiction;
- a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years of age;
- a Roman Catholic;
- qualified to vote for members of the Catholic District School Board; and
- not disqualified by any legislation from holding the office of trustee.
A person is not qualified to act as a member of a district school board if the person is:
- an employee of a district school board or other school authority;
- a member of the council of a municipality or an upper-tier municipality, all or part of which is included in the area of jurisdiction of the district school board; and/or
- an elected member of a local board, as defined in the Municipal Affairs Act, of a municipality or an upper-tier municipality, all or part of which is included in the area of jurisdiction of the district school board.