A Review of Gifted Education
Mary Donaghy, Superintendent of Special Education & Student Services, updated the Board on the system-wide review of Gifted Education (K-12). The review (in progress) will include:
- review of academic literature and gifted program delivery models in other Ontario school boards;
- a qualitative and quantitative data review;
- consultation with stakeholders, including SEAC (Special Education Advisory Committee) and ABC (Association for Bright Children of Ontario);
- sharing findings from focus groups with stakeholders;
- cost analysis of transportation for current model; and,
- share findings of the review with Senior Administration and the Board of Trustees.
Any recommendations that Senior Administration make as a result of this review will be brought to the Board and changes would be effected September 2018.
Minor boundary changes approved
The Board approved the following minor boundary changes. (These changes have no impact on existing students except as noted.):
- Minor adjustment to direct more new developments to Holy Spirit from the current Guardian Angels boundary.
- Remove the option for the Winding Way area to attend St.Monica/Frank Ryan/St. Pius X, and direct the area to St. Andrew and Mother Teresa. Three existing students in the Winding Way area will be grandparented to attend Frank Ryan/St. Pius X.
- Provide an option for part of the St. Anne boundary area to attend St. James.
Full details and maps can be found on pages 26 - 32 of the January 24, 2017 Board agenda.
Ministry announcement of capital allocation and appointment of architect
Administration has been authorized to appoint Cuhaci and Associates as architects for the addition at Holy Redeemer School in Kanata. The school's original architects will add a 10-room addition to the JK-6 school with a Capital Priorities allocation of $5,074,349.