Budget Summary 2015-2016
The Ottawa Catholic School Board approved, on June 9, 2015, an Operating Budget for the 2015-2016 fiscal year, developed in accordance with the provincial funding model, totalling $475,052,000. The budget provides for 2015-2016 enrolment of 40,000 students. This budget focuses on programs and initiatives that directly benefit students and further enhance student and staff success:
Approximately 71% of all Board spending is to occur directly in the classroom, with a further 7% being spent outside the classroom, but at the school level, on items such as principals, vice-principals and office administrators for a total of 78%. A further 15% is directed to such items as Continuing Education, school accommodation costs, and transportation of students, as reflected in the accompanying chart entitled “Expenditures by Envelope Allocation”.
Education spending is very labour intensive, as reflected in the accompanying chart entitled “By Category of Expenditure”. For 2015-2016, salaries and benefits for teaching and non-teaching staff will comprise 82% of Operating expenditures. Other major costs are: transportation 4%, classroom supplies 4%, and school accommodation costs 4%. Under the funding model, virtually all revenues (97%) are received directly from the Province of Ontario in the form of government grant allocations. The remaining 3% is attributable to Government of Ontario Special Grant revenue, non-credit English Second Language program funding, Extended Day Program revenues, Continuing Education tuition fees, community use of school revenues and other long-term lease revenues.
New capital projects spending totalling $23.3 million include: